Sunday, October 24, 2010

Summary Response and Image Analysis Essays

Writing a summary/response essay is a fairly easy process.  The summary is simply is a paraphrase of all the main ideas of an essay.  It cites the author and title, along with the thesis and supporting ideas.  It should be about 150-250 words, and take up no more than one-third the length of the work being summarized.  The response is a critique of the author's essay. It states ideas that you agree and disagree with and identifies the essay's strengths and weaknesses.  Unlike the summary, the response is based on personal opinions.  A good response is persuasive; therefore it states facts, examples and personal experiences.  

An image analysis paper involves comparing and contrasting angles of vision and techniques.  You look at what is and isn't included in the product.  It is a somewhat more complex process.  The purpose is to carefully and throughly analyze various images or writings.

For me, writing the summary/response was much easier.  It was very straightforward and simple.  We had something concrete in which to take information from.  The structure was easy to follow and to understand.  Also, the topic was fairly easy to write about because it was so concrete.  You either agree with cloning or you don't.  I felt prepared to write this paper because I had written so many papers similar to this in high school.  The image analysis paper was a little more complicated.  There was a lot of information to include.  It was tough at first to figure out what to write about because there were so many choices.  This paper was also harder for me to write because the topic was so broad.  I also did not necessarily enjoy movie so it was more difficult me to be focus.  All in all, I found it easier to write the summary/response paper over the image analysis essay.

Blogging was somewhat effective.  At times, it helped me organize my thoughts and figure out what to write about.  Also, I learned more about instructions and helpful tips to write papers.

Peer review was helpful.  I found it beneficial to see what my fellow classmates thought about my paper.  It allowed me to read other people's papers and find out what they think about my paper.



No comments:

Post a Comment